Store Collage

Friday, February 20, 2015

Meet the Makers - Marlene Reid

Meet the Makers



Marlene Reid*, owner and founder of IslandGirlz Designs and Unhinged Indie Art and Fashion Boutique in Las Vegas, Nevada.

What’s the story behind your company?
Years ago I started out in the craft business out of necessity as a single mom of two sons. Upcycling everyday items into wearable and functional art came naturally, born out of the need to get as many uses out of things as possible while spending the least amount of cash! I’m always amazed by the things people discard. The challenge is in discovering the beauty and functionality in these cast-offs. IslandGirlz Designs gives new life to old books, maps, game pieces, bullet casings and other "trash" as part of our effort to preserve and protect our planet for future generations. Each and every finished piece incorporates a recycled component which is often the focal point of an individual design.

What are you passionate about and how does that inspire your artistic creations?
There are a number of things that fuel my passion and inspire my line of jewelry & home décor items. First and foremost, I am a child of the ‘70s and still have that mentality that everyone should take the opportunity to make a difference in the world. Upcycling “trash” is my way of trying to reduce our carbon footprint on the planet. I want my grandson, Brayden to be able to enjoy all the natural wonders the world has to offer. Secondly, I am my father’s daughter. He was the ultimate recycler, even before recycling became politically correct. When I was a child, I can remember cringing when he’d say, “Let’s go for a walk,” which really translated into, “We’re going to pick up aluminum cans.” Now I smile whenever I think of how proud he’d be to see what I’ve created out of “trash”. It’s these things that give me my creative vision and challenge me when designing new pieces.



What is your favorite product to make?
These days I am obsessed with altered book art sculpture and steampunk anything!! What’s not to love about being able to indulge two of my passions--reading and science fiction—and using that passion to create original works of art and fashion.

What do you find the most challenging on a day to day basis?
There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that I want to do. I am constantly challenged in trying to strike a balance between family, work, creative time, business details and time to play with my dog, Puzzle.

What one trait has helped you the most in your business as an artist/maker?
The ability to keep things organized has been the key trait for me. I juggle so many things that without that single skill, I’d be sinking in quicksand.



What do you think is more important, talent or drive and why?
If I’ve learned one thing in all my years as a creative person, it’s that you must have the drive to take your passion to the next level. I’ll be the first to admit that for years I only half-heartedly attempted to make the jump from hobbyist to business person. Then several years ago an acquaintance took one of my creative ideas and turned it into a semi-successful business. That was the wake-up call I needed. To make a long story short: Talent is wasted without drive.

What is the toughest lesson you've learned and how did you learn it?
The toughest lesson I’ve learned is to have faith in myself. Fortunately, I’ve been blessed with two wonderful sons who have always believed that I am someone with special gifts. Their support and the support of a very special group of girlfriends helped me find the strength to believe in “me”.

What is the one piece of advice you have for other artists/makers?
Believe in yourself and follow your dreams for life is too short for regrets. You know that saying: “You can make it happen if only you believe”--it really is true.


*Marlene has been featured in several local publications and participates in juried art shows all over the western United States. Additionally, she is a community activist holding numerous volunteer positions and organizing events for various local and national charitable organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment